Sunday, August 14, 2011

New Inspiration!

Today, in between setting things up this weekend and putting the finishing touches on getting ready for the boutique, which is only 5 days away {so exciting!} I decided I needed a break. A chance to get out of the house and search out new inspirations. Yes, I can't believe I am saying that myself, but some time away from my creations can be a good thing!

So, I decided to go to a move: The Help.


  First off, I am not usually the type to read a book and then right away head to the theater to see how the movie does or does not match up to the novel; however, after reading the book and loving it, going to a movie was just the thing I needed!

Immediately after the movie started I was in a trance admiring the 60's attire many of the characters wore--and I am not talking about the mid to late 60's bell bottom pants and go-go boots {no offense to these lovely pieces, as they have served their place in time!}, but more of the Jacqueline Kennedy Pink Chanel Wool Suit look.  Many of the characters in the movie were clothed in wool  or heavyweight cotton fabrics that displayed simple, pastel, or geometric style prints.  There were also some splashy floral prints mixed in, but the overall outfits were amazing and very vintage looking.


Emma Stone, who plays the role of Ms. Skeeter in the book/movie, sports a classic wool suit.


Of course while I enjoyed the movie, my mind was also racing with ideas!  

"Hmmm, where could I find a cute pattern {or perhaps I could create one} to find these looks?!" 

"What an adorable skirt----I think I could make that......on second thought, maybe not!"

 "Is that tweed on that skirt?"  

"I should probably stop making things for me and maybe try something for my husband--like a shirt, or a toiletry bag, or....."  

     
                         "I wonder why people stopped wearing these styles?! Wait, do I need to remind myself how itchy wool is?"





Photos courtesy of: hollywoodmoviecostumes.blogspot.com










Well, luckily tomorrow is a new day, filled with lots of time and energy to draft up creative ideas.  Plus, I guess I still have some time (approximately 16 days) before I go back to teaching!  

Ah--- until then, I will continue to admire the wide range of funky fabrics and vintage looks of the 60's.  My cotton/polyester, satin lined, Jackie Kennedy inspired coat will have to do.  Don't ya just love a good consignment shop find?!




                                                                                                             Coat: Cherie Boutique- Excelsior,  MN
                                                                                  Necklace: Vintage {Husband's Grandmother}

 
 




























1 comment: