Friday, August 26, 2011

Unexpected Late Night Finds

Nothing is better than finding a steal when you least expect it!  Last night this happened for me.  My husband decided that he wanted to take a trip to one of his [few] but favorite stores: The Electric Fetus. He loves to dig through the volumes and volumes of old vinyl records and cds, looking for his "hidden gems."  

I decided to tag along. {Thank Goodness}

Immediately upon entering this was the first things that caught my eye.



Of course....being way too excited about the simple things, I was in love with this little, amazing book and had to have it! :)


The author, Melody Fortier begins by explaining some basic information about what exactly is VINTAGE and how can you define it.  I have often wondered this myself.  You hear words tossed around all the time such as antique, rEtRo, and Vintage, but what is the difference?  Is there a difference?  I have to admit myself that I have misused these terms in the past.  But before I get to this, I think it is worth the time to talk about why this term appeals to so many.

Melody sums it up best by stating:

                  For me [Melody] it began as a love of creating from textiles.
                       I found vintage to be a rich source for studying unique design, 
                       beautiful materials, and skillful techniques. Vintage also provides 
                       an intimate connection with our history, and element of nostalgia. 
                       It is a rare area of fashion where the person on the street creates 
                      the trends instead of following them. 


I believe Melody is right in the fact that Vintage does create "an element of nostalgia," and perhaps this is a part of why I love the textiles and clothing of the 40s, 50s, and as discussed in an early post on  New Inspirations, the fashion of the 60s. These styles share the history of strong women.  Women who experienced the depression, faced war, endured stereo types of what a woman should or shouldn't be.  These women knew how to work hard and understood the value and beauty {not necessarily physical} of how a person carries themselves, their character, and the value of quality.  They were not afraid to change with the demands of a changing society, and simple things in fashion that are often overlooked today, such as hand-bound button holes, were things to be treasured.  

I realize in our busy world today there isn't always time to spend on these small elements of clothing, but I think these are SMALL THINGS that should always be Treasured and remembered. There is value in the concept that Good Things Sometimes Take Time! 

A good lesson for myself to remember :)  


So.....what does the term Vintage mean already! Melody Fortier sums up her definition of Vintage by stating "Fashions from the past that are worthy of resurrection."  You can see how understanding the history of clothing can help to define what this term means. What is worth bringing back in style.........and beliefs?

These are some big questions to ponder. Perhaps in a later post I will explore what I have found "worthy" of reviving and why, but until then.....

How about you?


What is your Enduring Style?!



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment